[ILUG-BOM] 24Online client problem =(

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Feb 18 17:04:30 IST 2004

Sometime Today, Dinesh Joshi assembled some asciibets to say:

> using 'linc'. I have downloaded the i386 RPM. But I dont know how to
> configure it or use it. I am a newbie :). So I was wondering if

I'm not sure about the rpm, I installed from source, but it should be
the same.  If my instructions don't work, then give me the output of
rpm -q linc-daemon

Instructions:

After installing, you should have the following files:

/usr/bin/linc
/etc/lincrc

if you do not have /etc/lincrc, then create it using the command:

touch /etc/lincrc

now, edit this file:

vi /etc/lincrc

My file looks like this:

# Config file for linc cablenet client
srvaddr = 172.16.1.1
srvport = 6060
username = tellis
password = xxxxxxxxxxx
hwaddr = 00:E0:4C:00:03:42

you should change the settings to whatever your operator gives you.
hwaddr is specific to your machine, you can use the ifconfig utility to
find out:

/sbin/ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:4C:00:03:42
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

next, you'll need to configure your resolv.conf file to use the dns
server that your ISP gives you.

finally, I've attached a linc startup script to this mail.  You should
copy it to /etc/init.d and run the following commands:

chmod +x /etc/init.d/linc
chkconfig --add linc
chkconfig linc on

This will ensure that linc connects to the net when your machine boots
up.  To start linc immediately, run the following command:

/etc/init.d/linc start

to stop linc, run:

/etc/init.d/linc stop

other options can be got by running

/etc/init.d/linc

NOTES:

before you do anything, try and understand how things work.
man linc
man lincrc
will explain a lot

You can also start linc by just running the linc program.  This will
start linc on the current console, but in the background.  You will have
to send it signals using the kill command, which IMO isn't very user
friendly.

Subscribing to the linc-user's mailing list (on sourceforge) can help.

Philip

--
Let the machine do the dirty work.
		-- "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Ritchie