[ILUG-BOM] GPRS related questions

Harsh Busa mailme@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Apr 20 12:43:51 IST 2004

> recently bought a nokia 6610, sans data cable.
> I would like to know folowwing
> 1. is there any doc or HOWTO about using gprs cell as modem
> 2. orange provides gprs for 99 pm, rite? what are the features provided in
> it.
> 3. is gprs worth it practically, what download speeds will i get

GPRS modems work pretty well with Debian / RH 9 etc ... but Orange
connection for 99 allows you to surf only from the phone and use MMS to
use phone as modem you have to pay orange another Rs 499 pm ( total 599)
and your access speed depends on speed of phone modem and time of the
day :)

I used a Motorola v66 which has a 14.4 / 28.8 modem so I never got a
speed better than 2Kbps download.

Regards
Harsh