[ILUG-BOM] explanation of named stats

Devdas Bhagat devdas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Oct 25 23:06:17 IST 2004

On 25/10/04 14:06 +0530, Keith Fernandez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me to where I can get an explanation of the named
> statistics on the internet. I couldnt find much. The reason being  in my

See the BIND Administrators Reference Manual, Chapter 6, point
6.2.14.15.

Quoting:

The  statistics  dump  begins  with  the  line +++ Statistics Dump +++
(973798949),  where the number in parentheses is a standard
Unix-style timestamp,  measured  as seconds since January 1, 1970.

> stats, the failuers are showing 8483727, is that normal. People are not
> complaing about my DNS, and my Name server is running fine. Is it normal to
> have so many failure's in their stats.

<snip a bit>
   failure

   The number of queries which resulted in a failure response other than
   those above.

I believe that the number of failures is not all that big. I suggest
logging queries and seeing which queries fail. I would say that a large
number of those would be missing reverse DNS, and RFC 1918 DNS, and
Windows hosts trying to lookup wierd domains.

Devdas Bhagat