[ILUG-BOM] pacenet connection - steps to follow

Rony Bill ronbilly@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Nov 4 22:12:20 IST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikhil Joshi" <nikhil_joshi at gmx.net>

> Pacenet is not a traditional LAN based ISP. It uses pppoe.

This is something new for me. I have just returned from a client's place
where he was having problems with his ethernet internet service. His system
( Win98) needed to be reloaded again as it was contaminated with unwanted
files installed in his system and the explorer would crash. The Cable guy
has switched over to Linux and a firewall for security at his end. He told
me that the new system only needed automatic ip setting to be enabled at the
client end and the system was already internet ready. I asked for the
gateway ip but he said it was not needed. How is that possible? He will be
visiting the client and setup the ethernet net part tomorrow. Can you throw
some light on this?

I also found this usefull link for PPPOE
http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.php

Rony.