[ILUG-BOM] Unable to boot from new Image after compilation of kernel

noel seq noelseq@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Nov 6 17:32:51 IST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to load scsi drivers on my RHL8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14. As per the
driver docs, I need to rebuild the kernel with scsi support and then load
the modules.

I have run the following;

make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage

The image is created in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory and have
copied the same to /boot

edited /etc/grub.conf and added the new image as initrd /bzImage

When I try to boot into linux using this kernel I get the following message.

VFS: Cannot open boot device "LABEL=/"
please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic :VFS: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Am able to boot using the previously installed kernel.
The other lines in grub.conf are copy/pasted and same as previous entries.

Where am I going wrong.

Do I really need to recompile the kernel or is there some other way to load
the scsi drivers.

One more info, once I make bzImage, it gives me the following information:
Boot sector is 512 bytes
setup is 4774 bytes
ssytem is 1144 kb
kernel is too high for standalone boot from floppy
make [1] leaving .......

I tried deselecting some of the options like bluetooth, etc in make
menuconfig, but the size of the bzImage does not go below 950Kb.

Regards,

Noel