[ILUG-BOM] Linux backup help

Priyam Chatterjee priyam@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Nov 6 19:13:38 IST 2004

*comments inline*

Bhavesh wrote:

>Dear Mr. Nikhil,
>

>I am having a linux PC running RH9  with 4.3 GB Hdd. I am using it for Internet sharing.
>
>I need some help on backup and Restore.
> What are methods or commands I can use for backup?

best I think will be rsync, since it will preserve data perms too... do
man rsync and check out for the options.... u can tar and store ur data
on some other media over the network also.... can be used as a Cron job
also... so u need not run it manually....(unless u want to),...

>Can I backup entire HDD ? I mean everything on HDD including volumes

if u mean disk images, I am sure u can but I don't know any
command/third party tool that lets u do that in Linux... but otherwise
rsync will let u do that also....

>How do I restore ?

as simple as untar-ing the tar files (as root) and copying them
(preserving permissions) to where they belong....

>What all precaution I should take while backup and restore?

If it is a multiuser system (assuming that it is), file perms are of
importance, since after a restore u don't want everything becoming
(in)accessible to all... also backups are best taken on a different
media (I mean a diff physical media, not logical drive or something)....
rsync should solve ur probs in that also.....

>What is fastest method to get PC up and running after crash and after restore?

not too sure abt this one.... have used rsync effectively.... don;t know
if anything else is more stable and/or faster.....

>Please suggest some links too so i can get more info.

don;t have anything at hand.... tried google ???

>The world only goes round by misunderstanding.
>
>Regards,
>

>Bhavesh
>
>www.bhaveshg.com
>bginfotech

regards,
Priyam.
-=-=-
... "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943