[ILUG-BOM] Meeting - Jan 9 - suggested topic

Amish Munshi lists@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Dec 31 12:14:39 IST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:19:25AM +0530, Vickram Crishna wrote:
> I do hope that some or all of you agree.

Not only can they save themselves from illegal softwares, but if they are
willing they can become the major force for GNU/Linux distribution, they
have the bandwidth and they can download the ISO's and sell them
for a reasonable fee.
The problem is not in your concept, but we need to get to reality that they
cannot call their friends who can help them over the phone when the
computer does not work. Also who will buy the GNU/Linux CDs from them, and
if you find a few people who are interested in purchasing it, who will
provide help to them with installation and troubleshooting?

Most of us want CD's for free, we are not willing to pay a rupee more than
the cost of the media, not even for the time the person spent writting the
CDs for you. GNU/Linux CDs are easily available for Rs. 100/- per CD in
many locations, but people dont want to buy those.

Help and support are major problems in GNU/Linux due to the number of
distributions and the large range of possibilities where it can be used. I
beg, please DO NOT CREATE ONE MORE DISTRIBUTION for cybercafe's. Use one
which is already existing and already has enough documenation, books,
online support forums. I recommend either SuSE, Debian or RH.

Amish.