[ILUG-BOM] Meeting - Jan 9 - suggested topic

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Dec 31 14:29:53 IST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 01:41 pm, you wrote:
> Dear Vickram,
>
> You have a great idea...! Well a year ago, I and my
> friend decided to sell proxy solutions to these small
> time cafe's and faced the following problems
>
> 1. The small cyber cafe's cannot afford to provide one
> stand-alone machine for the proxy set-up. Normally
> they set-up win/analog/free proxy on a machine and
> allow users to use it during peak hours.

can do this with linux also

> 2. A entire GNU\Linux cyber cafe setup has the most
> daunting task (others may disagree) of a browser which
> supports all sites just like IE....we may agree that
> IE is insecure...but most of the sites are optimised
> for IE..! Opera is the best but then its paid..!

firefox wont cut it? i thought opera for linux was free?

> 3. Cyber cafe accounting software is also needed, the
> present ones are all windows based, there are a couple
> of projects on freshmeat but have'nt found success
> implementing them, maybe need to invest more man
> hours.

this is a few hours work to create

> 4. Messengers with similiar LOOK FEEL AND
> FUNCTIONALITY..!

isnt there linux version of yahoo and msn?

i'm asking these questions because i am in the process of converting a
cybercafe to linux and would like feedback

kg