[ILUG-BOM] Meeting - Jan 9 - suggested topic

Rakesh rakesh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Dec 31 15:18:09 IST 2004

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

>On Friday 31 December 2004 01:41 pm, you wrote:
>

>>2. A entire GNU\Linux cyber cafe setup has the most
>>daunting task (others may disagree) of a browser which
>>supports all sites just like IE....we may agree that
>>IE is insecure...but most of the sites are optimised
>>for IE..! Opera is the best but then its paid..!
>>

>firefox wont cut it? i thought opera for linux was free?

Firefox is becoming more popular on both Windows & Linux platform. So
browsing issue won't be problem

>>4. Messengers with similiar LOOK FEEL AND
>>FUNCTIONALITY..!
>>

>isnt there linux version of yahoo and msn?

yeah why not you have AMSN a near replica of MSN messenger also you have
ymessenger for Linux for yahoo but however it seems that further dev
work on yahoo messenger for linux is on hold. That doesnt have necessary
features like chat rooms and web cam. However you have Gaim and Kopete
to fulfill your Chat Room needs but webcam feature is still a CVS matter
on these applications. Newbies to Linux would find Gaim and Kopete a
till hard to digest as an alternative to Yahoo Messenger for Windows
which comes with real cool features (like IM Environments, Audibles  and
newly added LaunchCast Radio).

But I personally think that we Indian users apart from doing a great
work in localization of Linux should also strive to build applications
on Linux as an alternative to the applications that are widely used by
users in Windows so that the people migrating from Windows to Linux
won't have much difficulty in accepting it.  It would be great to see
more Indians contributing to the Open Source community.

Rakesh B. Pal
Emergic CleanMail Team.
Netcore Solutions Pvt. Ltd.