[ILUG-BOM] Home network (connecting 2 pc's)

Rony Bill ronbilly@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 14 22:34:22 IST 2005

Sameer Niphadkar wrote:

>yes you can do that by a serial link
>

>>2.If (1) is possible then how do I load linux in this PC which has no Cd
>>rom/floppy drive.
>>

>You may kickstart your Linux Installation by configuring your 1st machine as a NFS server and make the directories from the installation CDs available to the client (old machine) in the /etc/exports. If you do not have the floppy drive on the client you mave have to copy and mount the boot image as well from the server. That would be a little  off the way.

Dear Sameer,

This is interesting. :-) What is the technique with the serial cable?
Assuming PC A is fully loaded and NFS linux dump folders are globally
available, how does the other PC B which has an unformatted HDD and no
floppy/cd get booted? How does PC A see the HDD of PC B through the
serial cable? Normally HDDs have either hdan, hdbn, hdcn or hddn within
the 2 IDE ports. What is the device name in PC A for the HDDs in PC B?

Thanks and Regards,

Rony.