[ILUG-BOM] Re:oracle in linux

BIJU KRISHNAN bijucyborg@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun May 1 20:57:40 IST 2005

Well yes using VNC or XClient is possible...! But the reason why i always used to do it via a physical console was coz anyways i had to go into the DC for putting the CD's in.

But ur idea of loopback mounting the ISO is something i will definitely try out..!

What if i have a the files and directories on the CD have been dumped and not the ISO...! Any options still available..!

Thanks for the solution...!

bye rgds
biju

"R. K. Rajeev" <rajeevrk at myrealbox.com> wrote:
BIJU KRISHNAN wrote:

>Dear Amit,
>
>The Oracle 9i installation program is a Java based
>program and does not have a TUI or a CLI as an
>alternative.
>
>You need have X installed and running while installing
>either Client or server.
>
>Atleast from my knowledge u cant install Oracle 9i
>Enterprise without X....on the linux box..!
>
>I even failed installing Oracle Client on RedHat Linux
>with a dump on the HDD...! We had to put the media in
>and then run
>
>../mnt/cdrom/Product/runinstaller
>
> [NOT THE EXACT PATH ALTHOUGH]
>
>bye rgds
>biju

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Dear Biju,

AFAIK, a physical X server is not required. as long as you have all the
X libs ( from the xfree86-libs or xorg-libs packages), you should be
able to install a vnc server with a simple window manager like twm and
use it to remotely install the oracle client. And about the cd, i've
used the iso image via a loopback mount, and it installs fine (oracle
server i mean, which also installs the client, i assume). do explore
this option before loading a full X server environment onto the server.

Regards
R. K. Rajeev
begin:vcard
fn:Rajeev R. K.
n:R. K.;Rajeev
org:Principle Vision;IT Services Section
adr:;;;Mumbai;Maharashtra;400101;India
email;internet:rajeevrk at myrealbox.com
title:Consultant
tel;cell:+91-9323802020