[ILUG-BOM] Resizing partitions

chirag radhakrishnan chiragrkn@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat May 14 18:37:37 IST 2005

Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil at gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to reduce the size of a partition. In the various guides i read
they have told to first resize the filesystem then delete and recreate the
partition with fdisk. But how do I get the resized fs size in sectors and
won't deleting the partition and recreating it delete the filesystem on it
and the data with it.(I have a backup)

Nikhil

Generally it is not a very good idea to resize the partition especially if you have not used LVM.

what will happen is that if you delete the partition (which if not the last partition on the HD) hen u will find missing harddisk space!

made sense? no? if your prsent partition is of say 2GB and u resize it to 1 GB then there is a chance the remaining 1GB will become unusable!

Chirag