Booting Xandros with GRUB boot loader (WAS Re:[ILUG-BOM]Xandros3.0 and Toshiba Tecra 8100: does not read bootable CD#1)

sherlock at antispam sherlock@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 14 10:09:16 IST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 16:54, Rony Bill wrote:
> sherlock at vsnl.com wrote:
> >># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an
> >>existing # linux installation on /dev/hda12.
> >>title		Mandrake Linux 10.1 (on /dev/hda12)
> >>root		(hd0,11)
> >>kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda12 ro acpi=ht
> >> resume=/dev/hda10 initrd		/boot/initrd.img
> >>savedefault
> >>boot
> >>

> >># This entry was added manually after loading Xandros 3 on
> >>/dev/hda11 title	Xandros 3 (on /dev/hda11)
> >>kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-x1
> >>initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz
> >>savedefault
> >
> > kernel (hd0,10/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-x1 root=/dev/hda11
> > you did not tell the kernel it's root partition. The error would
> > have been kernel panic unable to mount root filesystem blah blah
>
> The script posted was the last abandoned one. Different options
> were tried out but no result. In order to be sure, I tried out the
> root=/dev/hda11 entry again but it stops at kernel panic and gives
> the same 'root=' related error. Do you have any old working scripts
> for pointing grub to lilo?

Although grub can boot and load another bootloader, it is an unnecessary complication.  You dont need lilo. Un install lilo.

Any way the entry in menu.lst is
	root (hd0,11)
        rootnoverify (hd0,10)
        chainloader +1

This will load the bootloader installed at the beginning of
this partition and should give you the lilo menu.
BIG FAT WARNING: I have never used this except for booting windoze.
Infact i have never used grub and lilo together. Grub does a better
job anyway.

> Can I get into grub prompt in one booted distro and test the grub
> of another distro?

Yes

> Will the testing kernel clash with the one
> already up in the RAM?

No. If you have already booted into a distro grub does not load the
kernel. Issuing the boot command will quit grub and bring you back
to the bash prompt.

Infact you can get the grub shell before booting anything at all.
Just press c when the grub menu appears at boot. Pressing tab will
give you a list of commands. Typing help and a command will give
you details of that command. Typing a command and pressing tab will
try to auto complete.

rgds
jtd