[ILUG-BOM] First Customer Put on Linux

Abhishek Daga abhishekdaga@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 14 13:45:05 IST 2005

--- Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 Jun 2005 1:12 am, Satya wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:04:34PM +0530, Rony Bill wrote:
> > >Today I got my first customer to get into linux. The machine was
> > > an Intel Original GLVA with a Celeron 2 Ghz. cpu, 256 Mb RAM. The
> > > distro loaded was Mandrake 10.1. The sound device got detected
> > > smoothly and it
> >
> > You might want to give Ubuntu a try.
>
> typical linux killjoy - whatever you do theyll say: 'you did
> *that*???? why not *this*?????????????????

I thought that had something to do with the fact that one needs to have atleast 3
ways of doing anything.

not to steal rony's thunder but i got a KDS laptop running FC3 for my
mother-in-law, (yes the real thing not the proverbial one) and it really meets
her needs of
a)Emailing and Web browsing (ok, so it took a pcmcia card..)
b) word 'processing'.

Agreed visiting kids cannot play any games on it and their CDs are rendered
useless, but thats a small price to pay.

And yes, I have Sshed into the system.
If your customer cannot give u the IP each time he dials in, you can setup a
script there which will email u the IP each time he/she connects to the net?

And also, if they are using the mtnl unlimited internet at 700/month, you can
setup the script to dial the connection each time machine starts. and if
connection breaks, it will redial. I am using that in 3 places. so one does not
have to bother about redialing. it just does it for you. especially useful if you
are sharing that connection.

Coupled with the above script for emailing you the IPs, you can always have
access to your clients systems (ofcourse, if they dont mind i.e.)