[ILUG-BOM] Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo and updates: bandwidth?

Satya ilugbom@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 14 22:56:36 IST 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:09:28PM +0530, Rony Bill wrote:
>All suggestions are most welcome. :)

Going off on a tangent and starting a new thread. (I did reply to an
existing message, but I removed the headers and changed the subject.)

Let's say you have a business where you go around installing this
hassle-free new computer system for people, so they don't have to worry
about Windows problems and also don't have to worry about package
management, root, etc. I'm referring to Ubuntu of course.

Or even if slightly advanced users wanted Gentoo or Debian. What follows
below still stands.

How do they get updates? These systems must be kept updated, at least
once in 2 weeks, to do any good. The usual way to do it is to point the
system at an online package repository. Bandwidth and download limits in
India cause this to be a big pain in the wallet -- no ordinary user is
going to do it and many technical users will not want to.

So, any solutions? A local package mirror is one, but you still have the
last-mile link being a bottleneck. Update CDs that they can subscribe
to, that Rony can have delivered once a month or so?

Thoughts?

--
Satya. http://www.thesatya.com/
He's not dead, Jim, he's just metabolically challenged.