[ILUG-BOM] First Customer Put on Linux

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jun 15 07:53:38 IST 2005

On Tuesday 14 Jun 2005 6:08 pm, Satya wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:27:12AM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> >On Tuesday 14 Jun 2005 1:12 am, Satya wrote:
> >> You might want to give Ubuntu a try.
> >
> >typical linux killjoy - whatever you do theyll say: 'you did
> >*that*???? why not *this*?????????????????
>
> It was just a suggestion.

try to resist the temptation - i'm serious here, one of the strengths
of FOSS is the bewildering variety of choice available. It also puts
off the newbie who is accustomed to no choice at all. When a guy has
overcome his prejudices and successfully installed some flavour of
FOSS, the correct technique to keep him on course with gentle
suggestions on how to get the best out of what he has chosen rather
than give him the uneasy feeling that the grass is greener on some
other side. I have seen several cases where the unfortunate guy is
desperately trying to install distro after distro in the search of
the perfect distro (which doesnt exist) and has no time to learn the
fundamentals of linux admin and use and becomes  'lost in a twisty
maze of little standards, all different'

--
regards
kg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon