[ILUG-BOM] Terminal and Sudo

(रेवंत) Revan @antispam (रेवंत) Revan @[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Dec 13 17:04:56 IST 2005

On 12/13/05, Rony Bill <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks to you and Revant for your nice explainations. I have only one
> last question for this topic. This is to understand the scope of risk
> that root login carries.
>
> Suppose we assume that the root is totally honest and will not destroy
> any files even by mistake and will always man his terminal so no one
> else will type in anything from his keyboard. In this situation, is the
> system still at risk from any other factors? Can anyone who has access
> to the system's network hijack the running root-login session? In short,
> is the risk only limited to the root doing harm or his station being
> used by someone else while he is away or is it possible to intrude into
> the root's session remotely. How private is a login session?

if someone has physical access to any system, it can be accessed as root by
single user session, by init 1 from kernel arg, or setting up a portable
camera/mms phone hidden above the keyboard to see the password when root
log's in. ;)

you can feel secure if there is no device from where you can boot into
rescue mode/ single user, and your grub is password protected. (and be
paranoid and avoid usage of Phone/Cameras near your computer)

as for the remote access, I don't know much, but imagining that it can be
accessed cracking the holes. which needs a brain which can debug programs/
find bugs and exploit them.

revant