[ILUG-BOM] Ubuntu 5.10 Nvidia driver install problem

(रेवंत) Revan @antispam (रेवंत) Revan @[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Dec 18 22:49:29 IST 2005

On 12/18/05, आनंद (Anand M R) <libld.so at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone faced a problem with installing the Nvidia drivers on ubuntu
> 5.10
>
> I have an Intel 815 mobo (integrated graphics), but I'm using the AGP
> slot with GeForce 2 MX 400.
>
> When i try to install the driver using "sudo apt-get install
> nvidia-glx" (as in ubuntuguide.org) everything installs ...but then
> when i restart x (ctrl+alt+backspace) or restart the comp ... the
> machine reboots at the point when x is trying to come up.
>
> So then i tried installing the official nvidia drivers. Since it didnt
> have precompiled module for the kernel (i'm using the one that came
> with 5.10) it build it (i downloaded gcc 3.4 for that and kernel
> headers), but the same thing happens again. Every time it tries to
> start x it reboots.
>
> I could do with some help here.
>
> Anand.

I'm using nvidia drivers on current PC,

I installed the drivers, "apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings"
and then ran the following:
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

then had to tweak the xorg.conf for the monitor settings and resolution for
my monitor,

did you run the nvidia-glx-config enable

revant