[ILUG-BOM] Re: [OT] Why are you here?

JTD jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Feb 24 11:07:10 IST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 1:32 am, Harshal wrote:
> On 2/24/06, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Interesting question. I think I would be doing it still.
> > Monetarily Free Software itself is not as rewarding as
> > proprietary stuff, but then is it not the love of it that we do
> > it rather than 'other' reasons?
>
> ya. there will be some people who will do it. and we need them
> badly if tomorrow something like this really happens. but a
> house/city/state/country/world dont just run on love, you need to a
> healthy ecomony for all the levels mentioned above for stable
> surroundings.

If u are implying that swantra (could be freebeer too) software does
not foster a healthy economy u are absolutely wrong. The one thing
that fosters healthy economies is knowledge and swantra software
creates and puts  knowledge into the open. It lowers the entry
barrier to software and other industries. Closed software raises
entry barriers (both knowledge and capital). In a monetary capital
starved economy closed software is an absolute curse. The
implications of closing access to knowledge is too horrendous to
comprehend. India has suffered one closure in the form of caste based
society which arbitrarily barred sections of society from acquiring
knowledge.

> so some will still love the free software and will
> support it in whichever they can, but they will choose some other
> means of making money to keep life going.

It requires skill to make money from swantra software as opposed to
skulldugerry with closed software (there may be a few exceptions but
i have yet to come across one).

--
rgds
jtd