[ILUG-BOM] Minutes: Feb 2006 GLUG meet at HBCSE

Abhishek Daga abhishekdaga@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Feb 25 16:34:02 IST 2006

--- Dinesh Joshi <dinesh.a.joshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 17:15, Philip Tellis wrote:
> > no, it's fine.  there's no harm in discussing various freedoms like
> > the freedom of the press and the right to privacy.
since we wanted the discussion...

"Freedom of the press" is not a blanket fundamental right. Infact it is
not even an explicit fundamental right. It is derived from the "right
to freedom" fundamental right stated in article 19.
However, by virtue of legal precedence the press does enjoy a great
deal of freedom.

Right to privacy : not explcitly mentioned in the constitution. once
again legal precedence dictates this very important piece that should
have been legislated properly.

While its good to have an active judiciary, these rights should be
engraved in the constitution and not based on judicial precedents.
Their is a risk of overturning those as we see in the case of roe v/s
wade which has the potential of being raked up after so many years.

> Don't forget the constitution of India and several hundred other
> countries out there :)

It is actually a very non trivial discussion given the nature of
communication these days and in the days to come.

-abhi