[ILUG-BOM] Minutes: Feb 2006 GLUG meet at HBCSE

Abhishek Daga abhishekdaga@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Feb 25 22:36:51 IST 2006

--- Rony Bill <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >.... and told them to get out of public places if they dont want to
>> be photographed.
>
> We are going off track. The discussion is about our meets and
> respecting  an individual's choice to not have his picture posted on
> >the  internet.
> Regards,
> Rony.

Net laws havent come from outer space (no pun intended). They are a
logical evolution of existing "Real world" laws.

The example is actually a pretty good one. Colleges, if aided by the
state are then public places. Anything subsidized by the state is a
public place therefore by visiting such a place you have waived off
your right to privacy.

And if you sue anyone for taking such pics and posting on the net, then
the judge/tribunal will wonder WTF were you doing saying cheese/mayo to
the camera....

Also, if i am not mistaken, by law, all photographs are copyright of
the photographer (unless explicitly waived) even if you pay them to
take the pic.

Putting it all together, you never really had a right to start with.
neither of privacy nor to the photo.

-abhi