[ILUG-BOM] Minutes: Feb 2006 GLUG meet at HBCSE

Puneet Lakhina puneet.lakhina@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Feb 26 17:35:45 IST 2006

If some story that has public interest (basically acts that usurp the
> commons, acts leading to violation of the law / other's rights) was
> published with photos from even a private area I think it would be
> fully justified.

who defines public interest?? Reporters out to for a story to save their
jobs?? I font know if u know this, but recently at a private celebration in
chennai.. tamil newspapermen took photographs of a couple getting cosy.. and
this was published as how our culture is getting westernised .. and all that
culture assasination BS.. does this usurp the commons, in conservative
chennai probably.. but  is it justified.. I think not...

 We do have many such definitions where photography
> is restricted due to "security" and "public interest". Our railway
> stations and airports for example. Never mind that you could walk in
> from jari mari or fire a missile from the slums surrounding it.
> On a side note my cousin was shooting with a camcorder recently at
> Matheran. Some girls were walking around. One of them jumped up and
> started creating a ruckus. My cousin refused to erase his recording
> and told them to get out of public places if they dont want to be
> photographed.

wat about just basic courtsey of not photographin a person if he doesnt want
to be on camera??

--
Puneet