[ILUG-BOM] Linux Drivers

Philip Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Mar 6 00:38:33 IST 2006

Sometime on Mar 5, Puneet Lakhina assembled some asciibets to say:

> Isnt it better to decide on a say a set of common apis  that most of the
> drivers will work on.. and then  spread these through various distros and

Drivers work already.  I was talking about the GUI APIs for the
installer program that Rony wants.

> then write device drivers assumin that people will have those apis. Sure it
> will take time, but as far as I am concerned device support is one of the

It was done about 10 years ago.

> bigges obstacles to the spread of linux, so i would think its worth it.
> Writing drivers for systems that have the normal devices connected, and with

Writing drivers requires one to know how the hardware works.  You cannot
just guess how it works and write a driver for it.  Most hardware
vendors refuse to provide details on how their hardware works and will
not let anyone write an opensource driver for it.  The problem is not
lack of APIs, it's lack of willing vendors.