[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Unlimited broadband

Arun K. Khan knura@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed May 3 15:08:17 IST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 13:27 +0000, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that BSNL has launched an unlimited 256Kbps
> connection(http://bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=296). The cost is
> 900 bucks a month and it includes a landline at zero rental. MTNL has
> also launched its version of unlimited 256Kbps connection at 1399 bucks

Did not find a 1399 plan @
http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/triband/htm/tariff.htm maybe MTNL Delhi has
it.  If so, why not in Mumbai?

> a month. Unlimited connection mean no caps on data or time and an
> always on connection. Now why are the Mumbai subscribers being left
> behind? Hopefully they should be launching an unlimited scheme soon.

Let me take a guess - the powers that are @ MTNL Mumbai are like
ostriches - hide their heads in the sand and ...

> Anyway, the reason for this post is that I see many people using MTNL
> Triband connections. I was wondering if they could give me some heads
> up on the quality of Triband. I have heard that their upside is that
> they good speeds & uptime but their down side is pathetic customer
> care. Is that correct? On a 256K connection do you guys get constant
> 30-32KBps speeds or do they drop?

Beware of advertised speeds.  The 256Kbps includes the bits of the link
layer (ATM) over which the IP stack is initialized.  This could be
affected by the line quality and how far you are from the Tel. Exchg.
At the ATM level I do get 256K/256K and file transfer rates of 25-27
KB/s.

> What say you guys? Any good / bad experiences? Tips? Please let me know.

Occasionally, you will face timeouts to sites (in my case Yahoo!
pop/mail server) as well as DNS time outs from their DNS server (I run
bind on my desktop).  Regardless of what others say, _obey_ MTNL's
advice of rebooting your modem @ 00:00 and 08:00 hours if you go with
the NU plan.  Otherwise, you could find yourself in a hole with
"Additional usage" charges.  Also, visit register.mtnl.net.in at end of
month and print the "Account Summary" page which lists your DSL plan and
the "Session History" for the month - useful to resolve any billing
errors. One month, MTNL charged me @ the DSL499 plan (online showed NU!)
and then charged me "additional usage" for the all the downloads (GBs) I
had done during the NU hours!  In case of billing errors, do not waste
time with the local exchange or even the Broadband GM's  office - write
directly to the ED.  Another thing, you will have to cough up the entire
amount even if they are wrong o/w you will face their wrath and have the
line disconnected.  Technically, the service is as good as it can get
but on customer service it sucks BIG time.  Hope you do not run into
billing snafus (you will be ignored) where customer service does matter.

HTH

-- Arun Khan (knura at yahoo dot com) Every nonzero finite dimensional
inner product space has an orthonormal basis. It makes sense, when you
don't think about it.