[ILUG-BOM] Re: Kernel compilation with grub.

Rony ronbillypop@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu May 4 00:50:58 IST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:24:21AM +0530, rony wrote:

> I just compiled the latest kernel 2.6.16.11 from source
>

> I boot into the new kernel, after a series of initial
> text, it gives a kernel panic at the root= entry. Its the same as before
> so why can't it mount the VFS on that partition? It cannot recognise
> hdan. (n is a number)

Thanks to everyone who provided their inputs on this problem. It is not
solved yet but now I created another problem so I guess the
menuconfig will need a very detailed observation. Last time I had used
the make menuconfig, clean, modules as well as modules_install so that
was not a problem. The problem I feel is that by default the kernel
supports ext3 journaling through module '<M>' instead of '<*>' so it
gives an error of not recognising block (0,0) and cannot mount the fs on
root=/dev/hdax. However even after setting it embedded, the new kernel
now does not even go till the initial bootup messages. While repeating
the process of 'make' I have got a lot of errors during compilation so I
will do a clean retry and give feedback.

BG's suggestion of 'kernel-package' and the make-kpkg..... command was
very usefull and I use that now. More feedback after some more results.

Regards,

Rony.