[ILUG-BOM] Is GNU/Linux only for Geeks?

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 8 12:10:34 IST 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 08:18 pm, Rony wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:42:07PM +0530, jtd wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 August 2006 10:29 pm, Rony wrote:
> > > Hardware is not the same for long.
> >
> > Vendors are so shit scared of the big bully that they will blame
> > problems on anything but the beast of redmond.
>
> The statement meant that new h/w keeps coming up every few weeks or
> months and by the time one gets the time to experiment and finalise
> the drivers, a new h/w upgrade is out.

Any new hardware takes years to develop. The time lag between beta
chips and production run is 6 to 9 months. The mfgs release specs to
the mobo maker who in turn release the info to  drivere writers much
earlier than beta, but do not release any info to free developers
even after release.

> The experimenting should be done by the big Linux distro makers and
> provide a set of OS and driver CDs for a reasonable price.

U simply cant.. Read the abv. U are making it out to be an issue of
cost /effort. Actually it is something totally different as pointed
out in my previous post. It is an attempt to create a chain of
bondage that prevents end users any attempt to change for a better
alternative.
How can a big distro remedy the situation?. Only the end user can by
boycotting goods that do not have open drivers . No closed drivers
for linux is not the solution u are merely tying yourself in tighter
and spreading the cancer farther.
My recent intel mobo is a case in point. I can install some ati crap
and get "better" performnace today at the expense of getting doubly
screwed when the system becomes part of critical infrastructure
tomorrow. Which means using libre software in your business requires
careful thought about your business model. The deeper u think the
more u will realize the risky situation your business is in while
working in the prop/closed environment. And libre software is not the
problem it's just peeling the fake security most businesses are
ensconed in.

> Alternatively, the distro makers could have a section on their
> website called "Build your own PC"

There is much better and uptodate info on the web.

--
Rgds
JTD