[ILUG-BOM] Forbes.com: Toppling Linux

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Oct 26 19:32:16 IST 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 14:54, Philip Tellis wrote:
> Sometime Today, j cobbled together some glyphs to say:
> >>
> >> and they told you this?  The pixar guys that I spoke to told me
> >> that they used linux because it was technically superior to any
> >> of the alternatives.
> >
> > Convienence = tech superiority =
> > stability+speed+effeciency+reduced
> > maintanence+upgradibility+customizable... Take your pick.
>
> So why is it wrong (your words) to pick technology because it is
> technically superior?

The problem is in using this tech to hobble others. And the ones who
are primarily clamouring for this are the very same media companies
who are picking gnu/linux for it's tech superiority. Thus it becomes
imperative to have protection mechanisms to prevent the hobbling. The
v3 licence is primarily aimed at this particular aspect. It also
helps to keep pointing out the freedom part - as RMS and the rest of
the FSF does.

--
Rgds
JTD