[ILUG-BOM] what comprises the GNU operating system

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jan 1 13:27:05 IST 2007

On Saturday 30 December 2006 23:14, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 12/30/06, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> > irrelevant. You can use the gnu tools, as also tons of other FOSS
> > stuff without a linux kernel. See my earlier mail. Everyone can
> > decide which is more important based on their own logic.
>
> Exactly, and on the same lines everyone can decide what they want
> to name their distribution. I understand that GNU doesn't force
> anyone, but seems like they would probably withdraw from everything
> that doesn't have the word GNU.

Also pointed out in an earlier mail two licences approved by OSI which
is most certainly not free. U can't take parts of the source under
those licences and use it somewhere else. So anyone who says open
source == freesoftware is talking crap.

Once u are aware of the fact - which newbies are certainl not - u may
call your distro whatever u fancy. If u tell a newbie opensource==
freesoftware you are now deliberately misleading them. And why would
one do such a thing - beats me.

--
Rgds
JTD