[ILUG-BOM] Mumbai cyber cafe license requirement makes Microsoft OS mandatory

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Mar 27 12:28:31 IST 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 10:52, Kushal Das wrote:

> Here is one small example:
> In Feb 2007, M$ with the help of local police started raiding on
> different places in West Bengal for pirated windows.
> As they came to Durgapur (Dist Burdwan), the local cybercafe owners
> were too tensed , some of them closed their shops until those
> people went back. But some others chose GNU/Linux right away. Our
> LUG members installed GNU/Linux in few of the cafes , where in some
> they installed themselves. And they are happy with it, they don't
> want to go back to windows any more.

I had a related observation. The small cybercafe owner (typically 3 to
4 pcs) is atleast apologetic about using pirated software. His big
city counterpart does not care. He has weighed his risk and finds the
returns a lot better using pirated stuff. One of them told me that
users are always using the lates pirated apps. Hence cyberbhai would
have his capital costs very high year on year. Quote cyberhai "Mian
Ch**** thodi hoon tail light badal ne ke liye car ke kimat doon"

--
Rgds
JTD