[ILUG-BOM] Windows Vista restricts GNU GCC apps to 32 MB

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Apr 1 12:09:50 IST 2007

On 4/1/07, Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> Further, I'm not convinced that the original problem reported by
> Nicely is definitely a limitation in Vistula.  It's possible that the

He's not called it a Vista limitation either. It's a limitation
imposed by Vista on standard C calls for memory allocation (malloc).
You can always allocate more memory using standard windows api calls
(again, mentioned by Nicely). Any of the following could be true about
limiting malloc() to 32 MB:

1) MS thinks that people calling malloc() have evil intentions and
should be limited to 32 MB
2) MS thinks that all 32/64 bit applications call the windows API
memory alloc functions and only 16 bit applications call malloc()
3) Windows malloc() implementation for anything more than 32 MB is
dangerous/broken and they want to work around it discretely.

--
Siddhesh Poyarekar
http://siddhesh.tk