[ILUG-BOM] Importance of Free Software in Democracies.

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 12 07:50:16 IST 2007

On 6/11/07, Rony <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Doesn't this show that some people don't want the public to be empowered
> with knowledge?

Yes, but there are prerequisites to it. We first need a rational
society. That is difficult, in fact bordering on impossible in India
because of the size of the population. With such a large population,
herd mentality rules rather than rational thought.

Software and knowledge freedom will make a big difference, but do not
expect it to change the way our country is. Again, it will affect only
a reasonably small section of our population (given the very size of
our population, that's quite a feat). For smaller democracies, FOSS
has potential to leave a bigger impact.

--
Siddhesh Poyarekar
This document validates as Plain Text