[ILUG-BOM] Linux desktop on Windows

Mohan Nayaka mohansn@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 21 21:39:34 IST 2007

On 7/21/07, RS singh <rsnsingh at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Dear linux Users
>
>    I want to get the linux desktop on windows in our
> college. My purpose is to teach C language to students
> of MCA by using GVIM and DDD.
>
> What are the softwares required.
>
> 1) Best suited linux Server for this purpose.

Any, if not ancient.

> 2) best suited windows client.
Any, if not ancient.

> I have tried following things but could not work.
>
> Server LINUX RH 7.0
This is very old. Try RHEL 4  or FC6/7 or Ubuntu 6.06/7.04/...

> cygwin at windows
>
> cygwin I downloaded from internet, seems to be a
> complete linux system that emulated linux on windows
> and it is quite heavy.

This doesn't look necessary for what you want to do.

> What I want is a lite desktop that connects to linux
> server and shows me GVIM of linux on windows system.

I think you need something like VNC.
http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

<partly-non-GPL>

You need to run the vnc server on the Linux server and run vnc clients
on the Windows machines. The vnc client gives access to the Linux
desktop.

</partly-non-GPL>
FreeNX is also available. But I haven't tried it.

Regards,
Mohan S N
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,