[ILUG-BOM] Tata Indicom Broadband @ Linux box

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Oct 2 08:26:02 IST 2007

Hi,

        Few days back, I subscribed to Tata Indicom Broadband (
www.tataindicombroadband.in ). I chose the Infinity 1 Mbps plan. This
apparently comes with no installation charges even if you don't give
commitment for more than 1 month. For other plans you have to commit
for 4 months to get that 1K INR waiver. I found that they do the
feasilbilty quite fast and response time was quite fast as well ( this
might depend on locality). But co-ordination between the tech and
marketing dudes was not so good.  Oh and neither of them knew if they
supported Linux :O. Surprisingly the callcentre dude confidently said
they do and the tech dude would setup everything when he comes to my
place.

          Cut to my home ( few days later, i.e. yesterday )  - the
tech dude arrives. When I tell him that I have linux on all the boxes
he made a few calls and finally said he doesn't know how it works on
Linux but he will get a mail from his boss and will come back and do
the setup. After some random conversation, I asked him if he can do
the setup on Windows atleast and he managed to do it on my windows
partition in my laptop ( yes, I didnot delete it yet :).

           The general process these chaps follow is - login to some
webconsole of theirs where they find data about the customer - go to
the tata indicome bb website and register with the Serial number and
PIN code. After which you have to select your username, password and
the usual cruft.  Then the create a account on your box and check if
everything works and leave.

           The Linux way works much faster :). I followed [1]. But all
that is needed is  "sudo pppoeconf". If you already have a
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider, back it up if you care for existing
settings. After that is mostly selecting yes or no. For user name -
please select username at vsnl.net or whatever domain they have given
you. But point being the complete userid+domain has to be there,
afaik. Type in your password. ( when the dudes set it up, they
generally put passwd as tata123, change it using the website )

            Don't know if this is worth adding into the wiki. Maybe it
should be,

           [1]http://users.pandora.be/Asterisk-PBX/PPPoE.htm

            Cheers!

Pradeepto