[ILUG-BOM] Cron help needed

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Tue Nov 27 10:56:26 IST 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 14:29, shishu naik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> using crontab -e i have created the crontab file and gave the
> specified   time and commands.
> Then when i start crond its says cant' lock pid....
> Other wise can anyone tell me how to put shell script in crontab.

after u have changed your crontab (hopefully u used vi to prevent
mangeling the file), you run /etc/init.d/cron restart. I have yet to
come across a distro where cron is not running. hence running cron a
2nd time will fail as the lock file will have been created by the
already running cron daemon. This goes for most daemons except where
the daemons allow themselves to run multiple instances with
neccessary precautions to not trip each other.

BTW NAG is a must read if you plan to do any sort of admin work.
People's patience wear out rather quickly if you dont do your
homework.

--
Rgds
JTD