[ILUG-BOM] Exatt / Worldnet with Linux

Prashant Shah elite.mumbai at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:21:51 IST 2007

This guide is to setup Ubuntu Linux with Worldnet / Exattnet.

Assume the following :

Username : abc
Password : xyz
Server : worldnet002

Lets get started ....

1. Get a dlink card - DFE-530TX (it has original realtek chipset which
if fully supported in linux as 8139too kernel module)

Note : There are other lan cards in market available under Realtek
chipset - but they didnt work for me. I read about them that they are
not original realtek chipset.

2. Run the following command from the shell prompt (needed to set the
link speed to 10MPBS and Half duplex)

$mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

Add this line to /etc/rc.local so that it runs at every boot

/etc/rc.local
mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

3. Install the pppoe package (google them)

modconf_0.3.1_all.deb
pppoe_3.8-1.1_i386.deb
pppoeconf_1.13_all.deb

4. configure the /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf (substitute the username and passowrd)

/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
ETH='eth0'
USER='abc'
DEMAND=no
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60
CONNECT_POLL=6
PING="."
PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-pppoe.pid"
TERMINATEFILE=/var/run/pppoe.stop
SYNCHRONOUS=no
CLAMPMSS=no
LCP_INTERVAL=20
LCP_FAILURE=3
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
FIREWALL=NONE
ACNAME='worldnet002'
SERVICENAME='worldnet002'
DNSTYPE='SERVER'
PEERDNS='yes'

5. Run the following command and fill in the details

$pppoe-setup

6. Verify the following

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
"abc"    *    "xyz"

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
"abc"    *    "xyz"

7. Start the internet

$sudo pppoe-start
...Connected !

Note :

Sometimes the worlnet DNS servers will not assign you a IP address. So
when you boot into windows note down the IP address assigned to you.
Then when you boot into Linux just assign the same IP address to the
LAN card as static ip address.

This is just a basic hack to get it working. If any improvements or
mistakes please suggest.

--
Elite System.
A open source company