[ILUG-BOM] [xpost] xinerama dual display with Intel graphics

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 11:18:03 IST 2008

On Thursday 17 Jul 2008, Rony wrote:
> Arun Khan wrote:
> > Ubuntu 8.04.1, Intel graphics chip on laptop - shows as 2 distinct
> > ports:
>
> See if this helps.
>
> http://my.opera.com/sjosul/blog/ubuntu-8-04-dual-monitor-setup

Thanks for the link.  It talks about a NVidia card using their binary
drivers (which is what we finally ended up doing).

When I posted, I was try to a xinerama setup using a laptop with it's
onboard Intel graphics chip.  We got the setup to work halfway, the
display would come up on the main monitor only stating low memory
issue.  We changed the res. to 800x600 but still it would not work.
The system bios was allocating a fixed 8M memory - not
dynamic/changeable.

We then decided to use a dual port video card with it's own memory.
Installed a NVidia dual port card GEForce 8600 GT (512 dedicated
memory) on a desktop.  Installed the NVidia binary drivers, they also
provide a config utility nvidia-settings.  Using the util, we were able
to get a TwinView setup.  Required a couple of hand edit tweaking in
the xorg.conf

-- Arun Khan