[ILUG-BOM] Thunderbird 2 bug?

Parthan SR parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:00:59 IST 2008

Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) wrote:
> H!
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Parthan SR <> wrote:
>
>> Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>>
>>>  If somebody asks about a bug, either solve the problem, or point
>>> him to the solution, or try to replicate the problem, and if you can, file a
>>> bug - dont tell *him* to file a bug.
>>>

>> Ummm? What's wrong is asking someone, who is facing a problem with a
>> software, to file a bug? I thought bugs were mostly filed by people who
>> are facing problem themselves.
>>

> I would recommend following bug filing procedure. That should avoid
> any unnecessary flames. :)
>
> 1. You find an issue with a software
> 2. You post on LUG(s) describing your issue with software version,
> distribution version etc and ask on the list if anybody faces the same
> issue with same software
> 3. Someone using the same software confirm the issue.
> 4. Same version of software has issues on multiple distributions.
> 5. Original/confirmer files a bug report to upstream
> 6. Original reported issue is specific to a distribution and original
> poster files bug report downstream (with distributor)
>
> If other listers can not either confirm or deny the issue, please
> refrain from posting. :)
>
> Sounds reasonable process?
Exactly, but with a minor additions,

3.a Either the original reporter checks the distribution's bug tracker
for something similar to his issue. If he finds one, he check it out
what is it's status. Might also mail the list that he found a similar
bug so people can also check it out. OR someone volunteers to check the
bug tracker and helps the original reporter in finding whether a bug has
been already reported.
3.b If a bug is found, whoever can reproduce the bug can go confirm
or/add more information to the bug. Else, whoever can reproduce the bug
can help the original reporter in filing a new bug and confirming it.
4.a If the problem exists with same or later version of the software
with multiple distributions, then check upstream bugs and file one if
required. Additionally you can file one in your distribution as well,
and link the upstream bug to this. (This helps in a fix being found in
downstream and moving upstream). If problem is only with the software in
a particular distribution, then file in the distribution's bug tracker
for that software+version.

--
---
With Regards,