[ILUG-BOM] Suggestions needed for Wireless Router

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:41:01 IST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Pradeepto Bhattacharya <pradeeptob at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I need a wireless router for network setup at my home. Basically
> for internet connectivity for 2 laptops and my desktop and for
> occasional other extra devices with wifi capabilities if and when
> required.
>
>    Now what I want to know is - what would be good wifi router which
> could work across a 2 BHK flat and also work when the laptop/device is
> in an opposite flat, separated just by a passage and walls. The
> passage width is not more than couple of meters.
>
>     I am looking at this [1] model, any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
>
>     [1]
> http://shopping.rediff.com/shop/productdisplay.jsp?LINKSYS-WRT54GL-Wireless-Router-AP-Support-Linux&prrfnbr=10240188&menbr=38477&frompg=WRT54GL
>
> Go for a Linksys.  Netgear is notorious.  I have recently bought a Linksys
Rangeplus wifi router that has two *internal* antennae.  From the results I
got, I believe it would be better to go for one with external antennae.  My
router supports 802.11/n, which should have a better range, but I don't have
any capable devices.  With 802.11/g, if I work across a closed door, signal
strength goes to 'very poor' from 'good' at a distance of 30 feet, across
one corner, but it could be that its placement in a corner is to blame.

There are some Linksys wireless access points with a good range, but you'll
need to connect them to a router first.  Are you tying it to an ADSL
connection?  In that case, better check if it is a Modem/Router.