[ILUG-BOM] Blackle - Black Google -- saves energy.

Easwar Hariharan meindian523 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:36:53 IST 2008

> > With an LCD the backlight consumes substantial power and keeping a
> > black image on screen makes no difference to the power consumption.
> >
> > --
> > Rgds
> > JTD
> > --

Actually,in a conversation with a game programmer,I found out that it isn't
as simple as rendering a white pixel needs rendering of all colours while
rendering a black pixel needs an absence of colours,thus power is saved.Even
the black pixel rendered is not true absence of colour but actually a mix of
the dark colours which is close enough to black for the human eye.So,power
saved is basically nil.

> A little late in the day to comment, but pray tell me: what does this
> discussion have to do with GNU/Linux?

Sometimes,a few off topic discussions are ok,because otherwise,IMHO,there's
no life in a community when there's no healthy interaction on a wide variety
of topics,and you are stuck with "Topic1 and related"

Regards,
Easwar
Registered Linux user #442065