[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Saswata Banerjee scrapo at saswatabanerjee.com
Fri Feb 13 17:02:34 IST 2009

Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Saswata Banerjee
> <scrapo at saswatabanerjee.com> wrote:
>
>> You have not been listening.
>> He did not give his password to the site.
>> He gave the list of email ids to which he wants the site to send an
>> invite on his behalf.
>>

> uh...where / who said that? Read the thread carefully. I checked out
> linkedin personally and it does ask you for your email id's password
> if you want to invite your friends. It doesn't give you the option of
> uploading some selective contacts. Try it for yourself. More over
> their email confirmation is very confusing. Why should I be asked to
> enter my password *again* once I click the confirmation link?

Ok, I checked LinkedIn again. I stand corrected. In case you are
importing addresses from a webmail, you have to give your password for
the same. (I changed my password after that).
Whenever I have imported contacts, it has been from my thunderbird
address book, in which case we have to create a ldf file using export
command and upload into the system. I didnt bother about the other
option of directly importing from webmail. I rarely use webmail.

To be fair to linkedin, their site clearly says that the contacts are
your personal information and it will not be used by Linkedin or their
partners, and that emails will not be sent to them, except as you direct
(by selecting the relevant option in linkedin).

In nutshell, i see your point and agree.

Regards
Saswata