[ILUG-BOM] Is it legal to use linux in a closed source VM was Re: Fwd: Everything is fine

Mohan Nayaka mohansn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:15:32 IST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:46 AM, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> starting a new thread relevant to the content
>
> On Sunday 22 February 2009 06:07, Mohan Nayaka wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Nishit Dave
>> <stargazer.dave at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Enough, already! There's more to life than these petty issues, so
>> please stop beating them to beyond death.
>>
>> If you need to focus your energies on something, please try a more
>> constructive approach, like discussing how to convince a corporate
>> IT  dept. To allow you to use Linux on your laptop (ours even
>> considers
>
> Is it allowed to install a closed-source ("legal") VM and put Linux in
> it?
>
> Yes afaik. But why would one want to do that.

That was a question specific to the poster's (Nishit's corporate)
setup. And it has some (limited, though) purpose - a long time back I
was saddled with a laptop on which I had limited permissions and an
old version of Windows to go with it. Call it an itch I wanted to
scratch at that time, but I wanted to try my hand at Lisp. I have
documented the workarounds I had to use (basically use Xemacs as a
Lisp shell) on the GLug wiki.

If I had a full VM, I'd probably have a (slightly) smoother ride.

Regards,
Mohan S N