[ILUG-BOM] Backup Internet Line

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 11:50:13 IST 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009, george at annamsoft.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to have a backup internet connection to maintain a 100%
> up-time of the Internet.
>
> We want to achieve this by automatically switching between the
> internet links if it fails (i.e for eg. if the BSNL link goes off, it
> has to take the AIRTEL link and once the BSNL link is ready, it has
> to switch automatically to it.)
>
> Can anyone throw some guidance on achieving the same.

Alternate 1.

1. Write a script to check traffic through both links and to switch
the "default route" to the iface that is up.
2. Test the script with all possible scenarios.
3. Run it as a cron job.

Alternate 2.  Google key words "linux router project"  gives a whole
bunch of projects.

I found this particular one interesting (from my old notes) but have not
had the chance to evaluate it mainly because I do not have multiple ISP
connection <http://www.easylivecd.com/english/cdrouter/>

Please do post your experience.

HTH
--