[ILUG-BOM] First Question: "How do I install Linux?"

Easwar Hariharan meindian523 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:17:48 IST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 May 2009, Roshan wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> I am not trying to install any distro but my orientation towards being
>> newbie friendly just doesn't stop. Why? I receive quite a few emails
>> about "how do I install Linux?" in my inbox on a monthly basis.
>>
>> Apparently, guides on the internet aren't /generic/ enough to answer
>> such a question. So, I thought of writing 'just-generic-enough'
>> tutorial on the wiki and have completed it. It is a wiki article, so
>> by no means, it may be termed 'complete'. In other words, your
>> comments / additions / deletions are welcome, provided you have an
>> account.
>
> Good try. However...
>
> Installations are distro specific.
> Partitioning an already partitioned disk is complex, especially for doze
> installer guys. Most dont even know the file system on the drive.
> In my experience more than 70% of doze disks do not have a logical partition.
> Make provisions for a fat32 partition so that data can be shared.
>
> Keep plugging at it. It will only improve.
>
> --
> Rgds
> JTD

Talk page has been created at

http://db.glug-bom.orgwiki/index.phpTalk:The_FIRST_Question:_How_do_I_install_LINUX%3F

Please post suggestions there for people who have a login
account.Otherwise this thread should be fine with periodic sweeps to
wiki talk page,assuming this gets some wiki love from people who have
experience installing various distros.

Regards,
Easwar
Registered Linux user #442065