[ILUG-BOM] Broadband connections

Arindam Ghosh makghosh at gmail.com
Thu May 7 15:38:42 IST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Arindam Ghosh wrote:
> > As for GUI, you can just use 'Auto eth0' of NetworkManager. I mean
> > considering the modems can connect to ISP, the dhcp thing from
> > dsl/adsl modem can be easily handled by NetworkManager. Swap the
> > modem, connect the lan cable to computer and it'll be automatically
> > connected to internet by NetworkManager.
>
> What you're saying works if you're routing through the modems.  However
> I don't think that's going to work here, since the OP needs to put the
> modem(s) into bridge mode and run PPPoE on his Linux box to make a
> connection to each ISP.

Well, actually there will be a single connection between modem &
server, and rest of the routing work is to done by server. But IMO,
the CLI method that you told is much better for server, because
NetworkManager may not even be running on it (need to logon to a
desktop environment that costs resource :-). Also for a server, having
public IP will be better.

--Arindam