[ILUG-BOM] Printer problem

Mukund Deshmukh mukund.deshmukh at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:32:34 IST 2009

> A windows shared printer can be accessed in Linux only via samba. CUPS
> setup (localhost:631 in browser) has an option for samba printer. You
> will have to check if your printer is directly compatible with the Linux
> drivers or you need to feed it a seperate ppd file. Some printers
> require a firmware.
>
> In the link
> http://puppylinux.org/wiki/how-tos/general/genericsharedpostscriptprinteronwindows
> provided earlier by Arun I went through it again and found that they use
> a different method by which you need no drivers for Linux. The .ps file
> is simply pushed RAW to the windows machine which then passes it on to
> its printer thus eliminating installation of Linux drivers.
>
>> 2. I can mount a window share by smbclient, but mount -t smbfs <other
>> parameters> fails.
>> Any idea...

Ok, Now dot matrix on XP is working from linux box, but Canon LBP1210
refuses to budge.
As far as window share mount, I was using -t smbfs, but -t cifs worked.
For canon , will check again, or else go postscript way. But this needs
installation of lots of software on XP, and I wanted to avoid it.

Warm Regards,

Mr. Mukund Deshmukh,
Beta Computronics Pvt Ltd.
10/1 IT Park, Parsodi,