[ILUG-BOM] Browsing Security

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:40:03 IST 2009

Hello,

My family members were checking some information on google using the
laptop loaded with Lenny. After some time, they got a message saying
that there was a lot of trojan and 'blah blah' infection in their system
and they should immediately protect it by clicking on the link provided.
They called me up to ask what to do and I asked them to simply cancel it
and close the window. However the window was persistent and would refuse
to close. It even came to a stage where it wanted to download some exe
file to protect the computer. Finally after a lot of clicking, the
windows finally closed. I asked them to restart the system and clear all
browsing history. After that no window has popped up in the next use.

Now this is common in Windows where such popups from infected websites
will download a spyware that is actually a virus disguised as an
anti-virus. Getting such viruses out of the Windows systems is a real
pain. They disable all admin commands too. However my worry is the
persistent window that refused to go in Linux. This is mostly due to
javascript enabled in the browser (Iceweasel). Luckily it was an exe
file that was trying to get in and it would be useless for the Linux
environment. What happens if it is a linux compatible script? Will the
javascript enabling allow the script to execute? It is a little worrying.

Rony.

GNU/Linux !
No Viruses
No Spyware