[ILUG-BOM] [Flame Bait] Open Office not upgradable in Linux but possible in Windows.

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:05:19 IST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves<lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 June 2009 19:25:23 Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Rony<gnulinuxist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Free Software is called Open Source Software, FOSS, FLOSS, Libre
>> > software simply to remove any previous mis-understandings.
>>
>> Free Software movement believes that all software should be free
>> (freedom). Open Source movement aims for business acceptably,which
>> means that free and proprietary software should coexist.
>
> this is FUD. The definition of Open Source is here:

That is how Bruce Perens had put it in the movie "The Code".

> http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
>
> the difference between the FSM and OSM is that the FSM _restricts_ the rights
> over software whereas the OSM does not.

The last post I made elaborates on this concept. Again, one of the
primary aims of OSM is making entry easier for businesses, which is
why they do not stress on the rights as much as Stallman and the FSM
does. Their main promotion criterion to businesses is "Openness" of
the software.

--
Siddhesh Poyarekar
http://siddhesh.in