[ILUG-BOM] Multipurpose identity card: will the platform be open source?

Krishnakant krmane at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:29:34 IST 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 17:58 +0530, Nikhil Marathe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Nandan Nilekani is to start the process of issuing every Indian
> citizen an identity card.
hmm, so Infi is starting a new business on a large scale?
nice way to solve the resession problem by doing money minting like
this.

> But are the platform/readers and so on based on open source standards,
> such that you
> or I can verify that it doesn't have flaws or hidden backdoors which
> can be misused?

The issue is not open source.

Even if they use it, they can still make the entire process closed and
proprietory.
Don't forget that infi *only* means business.  And what ever they do
under "corporate Social Responsibilities " is some thing like the old
Hindi phrase "nauso chuhe kha ke billi hagh ko chali ".

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.