[ILUG-BOM] FYJC admission only through IE (Democracy on question mark?)]

Krishnakant krmane at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:44:23 IST 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 11:26 +0530, Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह)
wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM, jitendra<jituviju at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Last year, 2008, the fyjc admission was made online using FOSS.
> > The software is available for any one for asking.
> > I was the architect on behalf of the government.
> > I was instrumental in turning the decision of autorites from not going in
> > for online to going in for online this year.
> > That is when my contribution ended.
> >
> > Last year we used the latest MySQL (5.0) when our engineers had not enough
> > experience( was that a sensible decision ? I feel yes as it was essentially
> > a pilot) . It took two days to locate MySQL expert who was familiar with
> > settings ( Courtesy Dainik Bhaskar) and the dying server revived in 10
> > minutes.
> >
> > While comparing last year with this, one may note the following: (not as
> > excuses for failures)
> > We had an entrepreneur to come forward taking  no money from the government,
> > no assurance of students using the system . It was optional. The physical
> > form filling was alternative. The charges for service was Rs 5 , with
> > exemption for first two applications.
> > Instead , this year the centralised admission makes online compulsory for
> > about 2 lakh students (after discounting the minority seats of about 1.5
> > lakhs.)
> > Each student has to pay Rs 125/-
> > The undersigned had offered the services for the govt as honorary.
> > This time I was called in initial meetings. But later I was dropped.
> > I may get a call again, I am told.
> >
> > What is at stake is faith of people in technology in mass usage.
> > Also whether FOSS can serve better?
>
> Interesting...
>
> The decision makers will have tough time explaining their decision if
> asked under RTI?
>
> KK, here is your chance to file an RTI application, instead of a
> petition. What say?

Yes I agree.  very good idea indeed.
Infact I was asking some of my friends who are into law and work at
reputed firms.  They adviced me the same course of action.

I would be interested to have a private chat with you because I think
some experienced person could be a better help.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.