[ILUG-BOM] Iptables Query

Rony Bill gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:35:57 IST 2009

Hello,

I have to setup a firewall box for someone ASAP and I was going through the
tutorials at

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16166

I just have a small query as I am confused with the directions of packets.
When setting a rule for the INPUT table, there is a source and destination
setting. From the examples given in the above tutorial, when an incoming
packet is received, the source is a local IP and destination is the world.
Shouldn´t the incoming packet´s source be the world and destination the
local LAN IP address? Could the experts please clarify? Otherwise it seems
quite easy to setup.

Rony.
GNU/Linux
No Viruses